Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Word Art

Faces: they’re everywhere. Browse the YA section and you get the feeling you’re being watched. A crowd of faces stares back at you from YA jacket covers. If you ignore the faces, you can also find plenty of body parts to look at (necks and torsos seem to be “in” these days), and there’s lovely scenery featured on covers, too. Sometimes, it’s easy to lose the book title in all the embellishments.

Here are some YA covers that focus simply on their title:



Fallout by Ellen Hopkins
(Margaret K. McElderry Books; September, 2010)







Karma by Cathy Ostlere (Razorbill; March, 2011)

The contrasting colors draw the eye to the title, but a closer look reveals profiles of a couple in the scrollwork below it.





7 Kinds of Ordinary Catastrophes by Amber Kizer

(Delacorte Books for Young Readers; April, 2011)







Summer and the City: A Carrie Diaries Novel by Candace Bushnell

(Balzer + Bray; April, 2011)

A clever way to pull readers into a “diaries” novel—the title looks like it’s embossed onto a leather journal.







Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia

(Little, Brown Books for Young Readers; October, 2010)

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE typography! And type treatment! And fonts! I love these kinds of covers. I don't think I've said "love" enough, do you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Typefaces are my not-so-secret passion. Did you read about the MoMA exhibit on typography? Here's a review: http://thurly.net/1cl0

    ReplyDelete
  3. CoverGirl, these kinds of covers are surprisingly hard to find in the midst of all the body parts and glowing objects. I am surprised that more cover artists don't go for more of these simple yet eye-catching covers. Let's love them more, and maybe they'll catch on.

    CB, thanks for that link. I confess I am a fontaholic. I got happily lost in the links exploring more fonts! I think I need to go see this exhibit.

    ReplyDelete