Monday, March 21, 2011

Wee Folk

Top o’ the morning to yez! Even though St. Patty’s Day has passed, I’m still in an Irish mood. There are two folks to blame: Carrie Jones and the website that gave me this guy:

I just finished Carrie’s Captivate—her third story in the Need series, which features pixies. Thanks to Carrie, I was itching for more fantasy. Really craving it! I hunted around for some more good fantasy and stumbled upon this little leprechaun at http://lifeinthethumb.blogspot.com. He won me over instantly with his pot of “gold.” (I couldn’t find any art credits. So, many thanks to the unknown artist!) This little guy made me wonder if there are any YA fantasy series involving leprechauns. This was all I found:

Lionsgate Double Feature: Leprechaun and Warlock (A graphic novel) by Zach Hunchar, Nick Lyons, Kris Carter (Artist), Jacob Bear (Artist) (Bluewater Productions, July 2011)

Well, not quite what I had in mind. Anyone know of YA leprechaun fantasy? Maybe Carrie can work some into her next series. (Write faster, Carrie!) I did find lots of leprechauns in kids books, though. Here are some of my favorites:

I love the doleful expression in this one.

The Forgetful Little Leprechaun by David Mead (Ideals Publications, February 2011)

And this guy looks like he just won a bet with the devil:

Teeney O'Feeney, King Of The Leprechauns by James E. Tague (Xlibris Corporation, April 2010)

Not your typical green leprechaun cover or your typical leprechaun:

Fiona’s Luck by Teresa Bateman (Charlesbridge Publishing, Inc., February 2009)

And this one is a typical leprechaun, but the surrounding art drew my attention right to him:

Leprechauns Never Lie by Lorna Balian & Lorna Balian & Lecia Balian (Star Bright Books, February 2004)

May your blessings outnumber
The shamrocks that grow,
And may trouble avoid you
Wherever you go.

- An Irish Blessing

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. The Moor Child by Eloise Jarvis McGraw is an all time favorite story with the little people in it. The Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer have a very untraditional take on leprechauns. One difficulty in finding leprechaun books is that they go by many different names.

    ReplyDelete