Monday, August 16, 2010

Glowing Things

How to Lure a Fantasy Reader into a Story:

Give them something glowing. An endowed object. A mystery… but not just a mystery, a supernatural mystery. Something intriguing. This week’s covers feature things that made me stop and say ooooooh!

This one was the first to catch my eye:

100 CUPBOARDS by N. D. Wilson (Random House, December 2007).

The lure of ‘the glow’ continued on the covers to the sequels in the series:

DANDELION FIRE (Random House,February 2009) and

THE CHESTNUT KING (Random House, January 2010).

More glowing things:

THE WIZARD HEIR by Cinda Williams Chima (Hyperion, April 2007),

THE DEMIGOD FILES by Rick Riordan (Hyperion, February 2009),

and, oooooh, check this out:

The new ARTEMIS FOWL e-book jacket (Disney Books, August 2009).

(Quite an improvement over the original cover, in my opinion. Anyone agree?)

5 comments:

  1. I like some of the old Artemis Fowl covers, but overall, I think this new series look will be a better fit for the books.
    I know of lots of covers that would fit the parameters of this post - but what I'll mention instead is a new book that literally glows.
    Ghost Hunt: Chilling Tales of the Unknown by Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson has some glow-in-the-dark ink on it. The title and various other parts actually glow in the dark. I have a copy here and I've imagined what it might be like for someone in a dark library to come upon this book face out - or rather back out. What you probably couldn't see in a cover scan is the handprints and "Who is there?" that you can see in the dark. Smartly designed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like some of the old Artemis Fowl covers, but overall, I think this new series look will be a better fit for the books.
    I know of lots of covers that would fit the parameters of this post - but what I'll mention instead is a new book that literally glows.
    Ghost Hunt: Chilling Tales of the Unknown by Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson has some glow-in-the-dark ink on it. The title and various other parts actually glow in the dark. I have a copy here and I've imagined what it might be like for someone in a dark library to come upon this book face out - or rather back out. What you probably couldn't see in a cover scan is the handprints and "Who is there?" that you can see in the dark. Smartly designed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that link. "True" ghost stories and a glow-in-the-dark cover? I love it! What an excellent combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on AF. the original cover was really dull; they were lucky they had a good story that sold itself otherwise they would not have been a success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say I like the original cover more. The glow on the new cover is nice, but the kid looks like a male version of Lolita, staring up over his sexy glasses (okay, they're not pink and heart-shaped, but they're tres Armani) in a cooler-than-thou way. He looks like he belongs in a GQ fashion spread, or on a runway during NYC's Fashion Week. As a kid, I loved books, and the original cover (which was a drawing of a cover! How neat - I love covers showing covers) with hieroglyphics and a lock would have intrigued me a lot more than this cover, which I think is going to look old FAST. On the other hand, I'm looking pretty old myself lately, so maybe this appeals to another generation.

    ReplyDelete