Monday, May 31, 2010

All Locked Up

Lots of key covers out there right now. I mean covers with keys on them. Not surprising, perhaps, since keys can be an appealing shape, especially old skeleton keys. It might make you think about how often keys are a crucial element in a story.
  • Maureen Johnson's Scarlet Fever (Scholastic, 2010), sequel to Suite Scarlett



  • Split by Swati Avashti (Knopf, 2010)




    • Naomi Shihab Nye, Time You Let Me In: 25 Poets Under 25 (Greenwillow, 2010)

    • Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life by Wendy Mass (Little, Brown, 2008). Also an earlier (?) edition, and a Thai version that is really appealing.


    Added: Incarceron by Catherine Fisher, UK and US editions

    UK

    US

    Added later: When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead. This is the Australian paperback edition:

    7 comments:

    1. And don't forget Catherine Fisher's INCARCERON -- both the UK and the US covers have a key on them.

      ReplyDelete
    2. This blog is just very pleasing visually today. First of all, I like the way you played with the key motif. I know I actually felt a sense of loss when my new car came without a key!

      Secondly, I just left a pond where I was feeding a procession of ducks that looked exactly like yours. Goodbye to May, my favorite month.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thanks, R.J. and Shelley. I can't believe I forgot INCARCERON, which was very likely the inspiration for this post. Doink! I'll add it now.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Whoa. Those are some intimidating keys. Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    5. And When You Reach Me, of course, in which a key is one of the four (oh gosh, am I going to say it?) key elements-- bookbagpocketkey. Are keys as strong elements in the above books, I wonder?

      ReplyDelete
    6. With respect to Maureen Johnson's books, yeah, the key is what gets her into the suite. Incarceron takes place in a sort of prison dystopia, if I remember correctly, so the key is appropriate. But as to whether they're strong elements, I can't say.

      ReplyDelete