Sunday, April 4, 2010

Yet More Pretty Neat-o Title Fonts

Ran across these covers recently and was taken with the title typeface choices:

Rosie and Skate by Beth Ann Bauman (Random House, 2009). A young adult novel about two sisters living on the Jersey shore during the off-season. So 1950s diner-ish. Love the whole cover, actually.

Layla, Queen of Hearts by Glenda Millard, illus. by Patrice Bowman (FSG, release date April, 2010). A middle-grade novel about a girl's friendship with a senior citizen. The red lettering is inviting (for girls, anyway) and the curly style promises a heartwarming story within.


Can an Old Dog Learn New Tricks? And Other Questions about Animals by Buffy Silverman, illus. by Colin W. Thompson (Lerner, 2010). A non-fiction book which examines common sayings about animals and whether they're really true or not. The typeface is energetic, like a comic book; it promises juicy good fun inside. I think boys would think it's rough and tough enough.


I wonder if there are other typefaces that could be sorted into "best for girl books" and "best for boy books" categories.

5 comments:

  1. I always love a fun typeface. The cover for Rosie and Skate looks fantastic! I don't even need to know what it's about; now that I've seen the cover I must read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the font used on Layla, Queen of Hearts! It's amazing how much the fonts chosen can add to a book and invite you to read it. I bought another book recently --a book of children's poems-- titled "Suzie Bitner Was Afraid of the Drain" and it uses fun fonts throughout. In fact, each poem plays with the fonts in a different way, which really makes it interesting! (The author has put sample poems online at her website, www.suziebitner.com.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a bit of a typeface mania in me. Even as a kid, I liked to play with letter design. And yeah, I think the personality of the typeface is just as important as the cover design; it either lures you in or causes you to pass right over the book. Now I'm off to look at Suzie Bitner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, some of the most distinctive typography from Suzie Bitner-- in terms of playing with the font and style-- isn't displayed on the website. For example, in the poem "Lost", the text is actually "hidden" inside the letter O; and in "Sun Is Hot" the text radiates out from the title to form the rays of the sun. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds more like concrete poetry, to me, than typography. An example I love is Heidi Roemer's COME TO MY PARTY (Henry Holt, 2004) which is illustrated by Hideko Takahashi. Heidi's "shape poems" are quite clever.

    ReplyDelete