Thursday, January 14, 2010

Strange

I started looking around the Web for the new Marla Frazee cover of The Borrowers and found not only that but an image of the Japanese edition's cover (literal translation of the Japanese title: The People Under the Floor) and a link to articles about a Japanese film adaptation coming out from Ghibli (animators for Princess Mononoke and Sprirted Away) - The Borrowers as anime?! Wonders never cease. They're calling it The Borrower Arrietty, after the character in the book.  Thought Jacket Knack readers might like to see!


Original Cover - Illustration by Beth and Joe Krush


Reissue - New cover art by Marla Frazee (interior illustrations are still the Krush originals.)


Japanese Edition - (illustrator unknown)

Japanese anime version - to be released Summer 2010

8 comments:

  1. I am hugely looking forward to this film. Love Ghibli and THE BORROWERS are a part of my childhood. It's a perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love how Marla captures the essence of the little people living underfoot! Hope this helps the book reach a new generation of readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, too, Kathryn!

    And Carol - I must be the only person in America who hasn't seen the Ghibli movies....? Time to do so.

    (P.S. I'm writing from Vermont College of Fine Arts - Montpelier - wish you were here with us, Carol!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, gosh, yes! You must begin with SPIRITED AWAY. Anything by Murasaki. The animation is incredible. Incredible, I say! A far cry from Speed Racer.
    And yes, I wish I were in Montpelier. I always wish I were in Montpelier with my homies. Vermont College, that Brigadoon for children's writers . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops! Make that Miyazaki. Hayao Miyazaki.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Miyazaki! I highly recommend Howl's Flying Castle. Bizarre story but incredible as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Amy - I'll look up Howl's Flying Castle - no more delays...must watch Miyazaki!...

    ReplyDelete
  8. 目標是什麼不重要,目標能產生什麼樣的效果才重要........................................

    ReplyDelete